Southwest Burger Recipe
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 4 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 pounds lean ground beef
- 3/4 pound bulk pork sausage
- 8 slices Monterey Jack cheese
- 8 hamburger buns, split, toasted
- 8 lettuce leaves
- 1 large tomato, sliced
- 1 to 2 ripe avocados, peeled and sliced
- Mayonnaise or mustard, optional
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the first six ingredients. Crumble beef and sausage over mixture; mix well. Shape into eight patties.
- 2. Grill, covered, over medium heat for 5 minutes on each side or until a meat thermometer reads 160° and juices run clear. Top each burger with a cheese slice.
- 3. Grill 1-2 minutes longer or until cheese begins to melt. Serve on buns with the lettuce, tomato, avocado and mayonnaise or mustard if desired. Yield: 8 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 516 calories, 29 g fat (11 g saturated fat), 105 mg cholesterol, 888 mg sodium, 27 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 34 g protein.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.