We love burgers and have them every Saturday in summer. We also have a favorite burrito recipe. One day, we got the bright idea to combine two of our favorite recipe. Voila! Our Southwestern Burgers were created. —Tammy Fortney Deer Park, Washington
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 4 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 pounds lean ground beef
- 3/4 pound bulk pork sausage
- 8 slices Monterey Jack cheese
- 8 hamburger buns, split, toasted
- 8 lettuce leaves
- 1 large tomato, sliced
- 1 to 2 ripe avocados, peeled and sliced
- Mayonnaise or mustard, optional
- In a large bowl, combine the first six ingredients. Crumble beef and sausage over mixture; mix well. Shape into eight patties.
- Grill, covered, over medium heat for 5 minutes on each side or until a meat thermometer reads 160° and juices run clear. Top each burger with a cheese slice.
- Grill 1-2 minutes longer or until cheese begins to melt. Serve on buns with the lettuce, tomato, avocado and mayonnaise or mustard if desired. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Southwestern Burgers in Backyard Living July/August 2004, p19
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Southwest Burger
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review