Southwest Breakfast Tart Recipe
- 1/2 pound bulk spicy pork sausage
- 4 teaspoons chopped seeded jalapeno pepper
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped red onion
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 1 sheet refrigerated pie pastry
- 1-1/4 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese, divided
- 6 eggs
- 1/3 cup half-and-half cream
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped sweet red pepper
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped green pepper
- Optional toppings: sour cream, salsa, chopped tomatoes and sliced green onions
- 1. In a large skillet, cook the sausage, jalapeno and onion and over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in chilies.
- 2. Press pastry onto the bottom and up the sides of an ungreased 9-in. tart pan with removable bottom; trim edges. Sprinkle 1/2 cup cheese over crust; top with sausage mixture.
- 3. In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, cream, salt and pepper. Pour over sausage mixture. Sprinkle with red and green peppers and 1/2 cup cheese.
- 4. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until eggs are set and a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting. Serve with toppings of your choice.
- 5. Freeze option: Before adding reserved cheese and toppings, securely wrap and freeze cooled quiche in plastic wrap and foil. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 350°. Unwrap quiche; reheat in oven until heated through and a thermometer inserted in center reads 165°. Top with cheese and toppings as directed. Yield: 6 servings.
1 piece (calculated without optional toppings) equals 419 calories, 30 g fat (13 g saturated fat), 259 mg cholesterol, 763 mg sodium, 20 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 17 g protein.
Enjoy this recipe with a sparkling wine.