Southwest Black Bean Soup Recipe
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1-1/2 cups cooked Minute® Brown Rice
- 6 tablespoons reduced-fat sour cream
- 1. In a large nonstick saucepan, saute the pepper, celery and onion in oil until tender. Add the beans, broth, tomatoes, chilies and cumin. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes or until thickened.
- 2. Divide rice among six soup bowls; top with soup and sour cream. Yield: 6 servings.
1 cup soup with 1/4 cup rice and 1 tablespoon sour cream equals 273 calories, 5 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 5 mg cholesterol, 655 mg sodium, 45 g carbohydrate, 9 g fiber, 12 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2-1/2 starch, 1 lean meat, 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat.