Southwest Black Bean Soup
“A friend brought this recipe to a gathering, and it’s been a hit with my family ever since! I use brown rice for more fiber and whole-grain goodness.” Jill Heatwole - Pittsville, Maryland
6 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Cook: 35 min.
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1-1/2 cups cooked instant brown rice
- 6 tablespoons reduced-fat sour cream
- In a large nonstick saucepan, saute the pepper, celery and onion in
- oil until tender. Add the beans, broth, tomatoes, chilies and cumin.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes or
- until thickened.
- Divide rice among six soup bowls; top with soup and sour cream.
- Yield: 6 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 cup soup with 1/4 cup rice and 1 tablespoon sour cream equals 273 calories, 5 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 5 mg cholesterol, 655 mg sodium, 45 g carbohydrate, 9 g fiber, 12 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2-1/2 starch, 1 lean meat,