- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1-1/2 cups cooked instant brown rice
- 6 tablespoons reduced-fat sour cream
- In a large nonstick saucepan, saute the pepper, celery and onion in oil until tender. Add the beans, broth, tomatoes, chilies and cumin. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes or until thickened.
- Divide rice among six soup bowls; top with soup and sour cream. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews for Southwest Black Bean Soup
"I thought this was really good and super simple. I used seasoned black beans and did not rinse them. I used hot green chiles. I would definitely make it again. I might try shredded chicken in place of the rice at some point just for a change of pace, but I thought the rice gave it an interesting texture."
"This was all right. Could use a flavor oomph. So add chili powder, salt, and pepper at will."
"I don't often follow recipe, but this sounded too good to resist. It will be a family favorite for now on! We all loved it!"
"This was very good! It definitely had a nice southwestern flavor. Personally, I like a bit more of a kick, so I'd probably add some chili powder to mine next time, but my husband and 12 year old son liked it as is. It was great for a cold day's lunch!"
"This is a very healthy soup with flavors that blend beautifully however, with the exception of my 18mo old, my family was not impressed. I added approx 1.5 cups of chicken breast and in addition to the hot pepper sauce I included some jalepenos. I am willing to try the recipe again but perhaps add cilantro or something to give it more flavor."
"This was a really great, simple recipe. Very hardy and delicious! I made it almost exactly as shown, except when it came to the rice. I made the 1 1/2 cups of minute rice then added it to the soup pot during the last few minutes of cooking and that made the soup more of a chowder, and I think more filling!"
"This was a decent good flavored recipe. Nothing to wow about but it will be good to have along for my lunches this week. I'm adding up to 1/2 a cup of brown rice though. Flavor is good but not strong or spicy."
"Very tasty, I added fresh lime juice too. Anyone on weightwatches? This equates to 5points. Not bad!!"
"Tasty, easy... I refrigerated it in small servings and took it to work all week."