Southwest Beef Stew
Add your family's favorite picante sauce to ground beef, black beans and corn, then watch how quickly they empty their bowls. This mixture freezes well, so I keep a batch on hand for quick nutritious meals.
Janet Brannan of Sidney, Montana
8 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Cook: 20 min.
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1-1/2 cups chopped onions
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen corn, thawed
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup picante sauce
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- In a Dutch oven, cook beef and onions over medium heat until meat is
- no longer pink; drain. Stir in the tomatoes, corn, beans, picante
- sauce, water, cumin, salt, garlic powder and pepper. Bring to a
- boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until corn is
- tender. Sprinkle with cheese. Yield: 8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: One serving (1-1/3 cups) equals 344 calories, 12 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 45 mg cholesterol, 847 mg sodium, 28 g carbohydrate, 7 g fiber, 31 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 4 lean meat, 1-1/2 starch,