Southwest Beef Stew
Our ladies group at church has a soup and sandwich supper, and before I went to work that morning, I prepared this soup in my slow cooker. It was ready when I got home. It was such a big hit, many asked for the recipe!Anita Roberson, Williamston, North Carolina
11 ServingsPrep: 30 min. Cook: 7 hours
- 1-1/2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen corn
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 1 can (10 ounces) diced tomatoes and green chilies, undrained
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt-free Southwest chipotle seasoning blend
- 1-1/2 cups cooked rice
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat
- is no longer pink; drain.
- Transfer to a 5-qt. slow cooker. Stir in the tomatoes, corn, black
- beans, broth, tomatoes, garlic powder and seasoning blend. Cover and
- cook on low for 6-8 hours or until heated through.
- Stir in rice; heat through. Sprinkle each serving with cheese. Yield:
- 11 servings (2-3/4 quarts).
Nutritional Facts: 1 cup equals 228 calories, 6 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 42 mg cholesterol, 482 mg sodium, 26 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber,