- 2 cups coarsely crushed nacho-flavored tortilla chips
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 envelope taco seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- Preheat oven to 375°. Place tortilla chips in an ungreased 9-in. pie plate; set aside. In a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Add tomato sauce, water, taco seasoning and pepper. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Spoon half of the meat mixture over chips; sprinkle with half of the cheese. Repeat layers.
- Bake, uncovered, 10-15 minutes or until heated through and cheese is melted. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews for Southwest Beef Pie
Sort By :
"Made this today and added re-fried beans and Doritos as suggested by other reviewers. It didn't really make a pie for me. It was too loose. It ended up being more of a hot dip. It was pretty tasty though, so I suggested to my husband that we use this recipe as a hot dip for tortilla chips on game day. He said that's a good idea!"
"Needed a veggie, so I threw in some corn to the meat mixture and used doritos instead of regular tortilla chips. Kids loved it."
"I liked this recipe, I thought it had a lot of flavor."
"We used Doritos, as that's what I had on hand. My kids LOVED this! Served w/ sour cream, salsa, lettuce and black olives."
"A response to Matilad_Ca46. You say there is alot of sodium. Yes that is true ther is but there are ways to lower that. Get no added salt in the tomatoe sauce and get the lower sodium taco seasoning. There is always ways to adjust the recipe to your liking. Adding things is always a good thing. It is trial and error. Just try other things and have fun doing it."