Southwest Beef Brisket Recipe
- 1 fresh beef brisket (3 pounds)
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 serrano pepper, seeded and minced
- 4 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 4 teaspoons canola oil
- 2-1/2 cups water
- 2 cans (10 ounces each) diced tomatoes and green chilies
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1. Cut brisket in half. In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the chopped onion, serrano pepper, brown sugar, chili powder, vinegar, garlic, salt and cumin. Add the brisket; seal bag and turn to coat. Refrigerate overnight.
- 2. In a pressure cooker, brown brisket in oil on all sides. Add the water, tomatoes and sliced onion. Close cover securely according to manufacturer’s directions.
- 3. Bring cooker to full pressure over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-high and cook for 55 minutes. (Pressure regulator should maintain a slow steady rocking motion or release of steam; adjust heat if needed.) Remove from the heat; allow pressure to drop on its own. Remove beef to a platter; serve with tomato mixture. Yield: 8 servings.
1 each: 271 calories, 10g fat (3g saturated fat), 72mg cholesterol, 500mg sodium, 8g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 36g protein Diabetic Exchanges: 0 starch, 5 lean meat, 0 fat.
Reviews for Southwest Beef Brisket
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.