Southwest Beef Brisket Recipe
- 1 fresh beef brisket (3 pounds)
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 serrano pepper, seeded and minced
- 4 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 4 teaspoons canola oil
- 2-1/2 cups water
- 2 cans (10 ounces each) diced tomatoes and green chilies
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- Cut brisket in half. In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the chopped onion, serrano pepper, brown sugar, chili powder, vinegar, garlic, salt and cumin. Add the brisket; seal bag and turn to coat. Refrigerate overnight.
- In a pressure cooker, brown brisket in oil on all sides. Add the water, tomatoes and sliced onion. Close cover securely according to manufacturer’s directions.
- Bring cooker to full pressure over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-high and cook for 55 minutes. (Pressure regulator should maintain a slow steady rocking motion or release of steam; adjust heat if needed.) Remove from the heat; allow pressure to drop on its own. Remove beef to a platter; serve with tomato mixture. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Southwest Beef Brisket in Taste of Home February/March 2011, p77
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Southwest Beef Brisket
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Beef Dinner Recipes >
- Beef Main Dishes >
- Beef Recipes >
- Brisket Recipes >
- Cinco de Mayo Dinners >
- Cinco de Mayo Recipes >
- Diabetic Dinner Recipes >
- Diabetic Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Low Carb Dinner Recipes >
- Low Carb Recipes >
- Low Fat Dinner Recipes & Main Dishes >
- Low Fat Recipes >