- 1-1/2 cups uncooked instant rice
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 can (15 ounces) Ranch Style beans (pinto beans in seasoned tomato sauce)
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup shredded pepper jack cheese
- Cook rice according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook the beef, onion and garlic over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the rice, beans, broth, tomato sauce, chili powder, salt, cumin and pepper; heat through. Sprinkle with cheese. Cover and cook for 1-2 minutes or until cheese is melted. Yield: 5 servings.
Reviews for Southwest Beef & Rice Skillet
Sort By :
"This was a big hit in my house. I used precooked brown rice (frozen and microwaved before adding), left out the salt and used small red beans in place of the Ranch Style beans. There were no leftovers, so I guess that means it's a winner!"
"Yum! My husband and kids loved this! I switched to regular cheese for the kids."
"Loved it but made a few changes to turn down the heat: used reg. rice, cooked it then added it. couldn't find the beans so used reg. pinto beans & added another 1/2 c. tomato sauce to compensate. Used only 1/2 tsp chili powder & 1/2 an onion. Also used 4 cheese blend Mexican lowfat cheese. It was still terrific."
"Easy and fast meal. The Pepper Jack cheese adds a nice spice. I used brown rice adding it uncooked with an additional 1/2 c. of beef broth and cooked mixture until the rice was done. I served it with corn and tortilla chips. My husband loved it, adding sour cream and lettuce."
"I needed a quick meal for a lot of people using things I had on hand. I doubled this recipe and put in a crock pot. They really liked it!"