Southwest Beef & Rice Skillet Recipe
"My family loves this recipe because it’s so tasty, fast and filling. I love the easy one-dish cleanup. Sometimes I add a can of drained corn for a complete meal.”—Jane Porras, Plano, Texas
TOTAL TIME: Prep/Total Time: 25 min. YIELD:5 servings
- 1-1/2 cups uncooked instant rice
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 can (15 ounces) Ranch Style beans (pinto beans in seasoned tomato sauce)
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup shredded pepper jack cheese
- 1. Cook rice according to package directions.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook the beef, onion and garlic over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the rice, beans, broth, tomato sauce, chili powder, salt, cumin and pepper; heat through. Sprinkle with cheese. Cover and cook for 1-2 minutes or until cheese is melted. Yield: 5 servings.
1 cup equals 433 calories, 16 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 68 mg cholesterol, 1,154 mg sodium, 43 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 27 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC