Southwest Bean Soup Recipe
I made up this recipe because I'm a member of a weight loss program and want to lose weight safely. I've given this recipe to some other members. They've told me: "It's out of this world!" And, "It's the best soup I've ever eaten!" —Marianne Brown, Glendale, Arizona
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium beef broth
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 cans (4 ounces each) chopped green chilies
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1-1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 1. In a large nonstick saucepan coated with cooking spray, cook and stir onion and green pepper over medium heat until almost tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- 2. Stir in the broth, beans, tomatoes, chilies, corn, chili powder and cumin. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Stir in cilantro. Yield: 13 servings (3-1/4 quarts).
1 cup equals 95 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 2 mg cholesterol, 459 mg sodium, 18 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 5 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC