Southwest Bean and Chicken Pasta
"My wife, Jennie, is a wonderful cook who’s generally skeptical about my kitchen experiments. But she likes this recipe well enough to give me temporary kitchen privileges…and even encouraged me to enter this contest! If you can’t find the soup called for here, nacho or cheese soup make easy substitutes," suggests Mike Kirschbaum in Cary, North Carolina.
6 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 3 cups uncooked mostaccioli
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed nacho cheese soup, undiluted
- 1 package (9 ounces) ready-to-use Southwestern chicken strips
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese, optional
- Cook mostaccioli according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a
- large skillet, saute onion and red pepper in oil until tender. Add
- garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the soup, chicken and water.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 8 minutes.
- Stir in beans; heat through. Drain mostaccioli; transfer to a serving
- bowl; top with chicken mixture. Sprinkle with cheese if desired.
- Yield: 6 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1-2/3 cups) equals 343 calories, 9 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 38 mg cholesterol, 753 mg sodium,