Southwest Barley Stew Recipe
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 quarts beef or chicken broth
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup medium pearl barley
- 1 cup lentils
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1. In a soup kettle or Dutch oven, saute onion, celery and garlic in oil until tender. Add the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour or until barley is tender, stirring occasionally. Yield: 12 servings (3 quarts).
1 serving (1 cup) equals 176 calories, 5 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 647 mg sodium, 27 g carbohydrate, 9 g fiber, 8 g protein.
Reviews for Southwest Barley Stew
"Turned out well... Will make again!"
"This is the most delicious, heartiest stew we've ever tried. It's a HUGE hit at our house...we make it all the time! The barley is scrumptuous, and the recipe is very flavorful and easy. This is a real winner!"
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.