- 3 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 3/4 cup uncooked medium pearl barley
- 1 cup fresh or frozen corn
- 1 cup canned black beans, rinsed and drained
- 3/4 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 1/2 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 3 tablespoons reduced-fat sour cream
- 2 tablespoons lime or lemon juice
- In a saucepan, bring broth to a boil. Stir in barley. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 40-45 minutes or until tender. Drain and cool. In a large bowl, combine the corn, beans, peppers, onions, cilantro and garlic. Stir in barley.
- Just before serving, combine the salsa, sour cream and lime juice; add to barley mixture. Serve warm or cold. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Southwest Barley Salad in Country Woman January/February 2005, p35
Reviews for Southwest Barley Salad
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review