My family makes lentil soup every new year for good luck. My mom has been making it since I was little. Over time, we've tweaked it so that all our family and friends love it. —Kristen Heigl, Staten Island, New York
Recommended: 40 Flavor-Packed Healthy Soup Recipes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 package (14 ounces) smoked kielbasa or Polish sausage, halved lengthwise and sliced
- 4 medium carrots, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 1 package (16 ounces) dried lentils, rinsed
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 3/4 cup medium pearl barley
- 1/2 cup frozen corn
- 10 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- In a 6-qt. stockpot, heat oil over medium heat. Add kielbasa; cook and stir 6-8 minutes or until browned. Remove from pan with a slotted spoon.
- Add carrots and onion to same pot; cook and stir 6-8 minutes or until tender. Add garlic and cumin; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in kielbasa and remaining ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 35-45 minutes or until lentils and barley are tender, stirring occasionally. Yield: 12 servings (4-1/2 quarts).
Originally published as Southwest Barley & Lentil Soup in Country Woman October/November 2015
Reviews for Southwest Barley & Lentil Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review