- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) vegetable broth
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen mixed vegetables
- 1 cup sliced fresh or frozen okra
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 2 teaspoons dried savory
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- In a Dutch oven, saute onion in oil for 3 minutes or until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until vegetables are crisp-tender.
- Serve immediately or transfer to freezer containers. May be frozen for up to 3 months.
- To use frozen soup: Thaw soup in the refrigerator overnight. Transfer to a saucepan. Cover and cook over medium heat until heated through. Yield: 6 servings (2-1/2 quarts).
Originally published as Southern Vegetable Soup in Simple & Delicious November/December 2007, p14
Reviews for Southern Vegetable Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review