Southern Vegetable Soup
This chunky, vegetable-filled soup is a surefire way to warm up those cold winter nights. —Christy Hinrichs, Parkville, Missouri
6 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) vegetable broth
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen mixed vegetables
- 1 cup sliced fresh or frozen okra
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 2 teaspoons dried savory
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- In a Dutch oven, saute onion in oil for 3 minutes or until tender.
- Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the remaining ingredients.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or
- until vegetables are crisp-tender.
- Serve immediately or transfer to freezer containers. May be frozen
- for up to 3 months.
- To use frozen soup: Thaw soup in the refrigerator overnight. Transfer
- to a saucepan. Cover and cook over medium heat until heated through.
- Yield: 6 servings (2-1/2 quarts).