Southern Sweet Potato Salad Recipe
I do some catering, so I'm always looking for good new recipes. I love to take this deliciously different potato salad to potlucks and cookouts. Even folks who are reluctant to try it at first come back for more! —Marlyn Woods, Lakeland, Florida
- 2 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2 in cubes
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 1/3 cup chopped dates
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- Lettuce leaves
- 1 can (11 ounces) mandarin oranges, drained
- 1. In a medium saucepan, cook sweet potatoes in boiling salted water just until tender, about 5-8 minutes (do not overcook). Drain; toss with the lemon juice.
- 2. In a large bowl, combine, mayonnaise, orange juice, honey, orange peel, ginger, salt and nutmeg. Add the warm potatoes, celery and dates. Toss to coat well. Cover and chill.
- 3. Before serving, gently stir in pecans. Spoon salad onto a lettuce-lined platter. Arrange oranges around salad. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1 serving (1 cup) equals 381 calories, 28 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 10 mg cholesterol, 173 mg sodium, 33 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 2 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC