Southern Sweet Potato Salad Recipe
I do some catering, so I'm always looking for good new recipes. I love to take this deliciously different potato salad to potlucks and cookouts. Even folks who are reluctant to try it at first come back for more! —Marlyn Woods, Lakeland, Florida
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. + chilling YIELD:6-8 servings
- 2 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2 in cubes
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 1/3 cup chopped dates
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- Lettuce leaves
- 1 can (11 ounces) mandarin oranges, drained
- 1. In a medium saucepan, cook sweet potatoes in boiling salted water just until tender, about 5-8 minutes (do not overcook). Drain; toss with the lemon juice.
- 2. In a large bowl, combine, mayonnaise, orange juice, honey, orange peel, ginger, salt and nutmeg. Add the warm potatoes, celery and dates. Toss to coat well. Cover and chill.
- 3. Before serving, gently stir in pecans. Spoon salad onto a lettuce-lined platter. Arrange oranges around salad. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1 serving (1 cup) equals 381 calories, 28 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 10 mg cholesterol, 173 mg sodium, 33 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 2 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC