Southern Sweet Potato Pie
This recipe is very popular here in the South. It's a particular favorite at our house because we always have plenty of sweet potatoes in our garden. Try it with a dollop of whipped cream. —Bonnie Holcomb, Fulton, Mississippi
8 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 55 min. + chilling
- 3 tablespoons King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1-2/3 cups sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Pinch salt
- 1 cup mashed sweet potatoes
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup light corn syrup
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup evaporated milk
- 1 unbaked pastry shell (9 inches)
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, sugar, nutmeg and salt. In a
- large bowl, beat the potatoes, eggs, corn syrup, butter and sugar
- mixture. Gradually stir in milk. Pour into pastry shell.
- Bake at 350° for 55-60 minutes. Cool on a wire rack for 1 hour.
- Refrigerate for at least 3 hours before serving. Refrigerate
- leftovers. Yield: 8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 slice) equals 513 calories, 21 g fat (12 g saturated fat), 96 mg cholesterol, 290 mg sodium, 77 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 5 g protein.