Southern Succotash Recipe
At the end of the summer, we search our garden for the last few remaining vegetables and add them to this salad. This dish nicely pairs with corn, beans and seasonings.
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 small green pepper, julienned
- 1 small sweet red pepper, julienned
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced carrots
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/3 cup cider vinegar
- 3 cups fresh or frozen corn
- 1 cup fresh or frozen lima beans
- 1 cup cubed fully cooked ham
- 1 teaspoon minced chives
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon-pepper seasoning
- 1. In a saucepan, saute onion in oil until tender. Add peppers and carrots; cook for 2 minutes. Blend in flour, sugar and salt. Gradually add water and vinegar, stirring constantly.
- 2. Bring to a boil; boil for 1 minute. Add corn and beans. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5-7 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Remove from the heat. Add the ham, chives and lemon-pepper; toss. Serve warm or chilled. Yield: 4-6 servings.
1 serving (3/4 cup) equals 222 calories, 8 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 12 mg cholesterol, 653 mg sodium, 32 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 9 g protein.
Reviews for Southern Succotash
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC