At the end of the summer, we search our garden for the last few remaining vegetables and add them to this salad. This dish nicely pairs with corn, beans and seasonings.
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 small green pepper, julienned
- 1 small sweet red pepper, julienned
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced carrots
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/3 cup cider vinegar
- 3 cups fresh or frozen corn
- 1 cup fresh or frozen lima beans
- 1 cup cubed fully cooked ham
- 1 teaspoon minced chives
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon-pepper seasoning
- In a saucepan, saute onion in oil until tender. Add peppers and carrots; cook for 2 minutes. Blend in flour, sugar and salt. Gradually add water and vinegar, stirring constantly.
- Bring to a boil; boil for 1 minute. Add corn and beans. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5-7 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Remove from the heat. Add the ham, chives and lemon-pepper; toss. Serve warm or chilled. Yield: 4-6 servings.
Originally published as Succotash Salad in Home-Style Soups, Salad and Sandwiches Cookbook 1996, p67
Reviews for Southern Succotash
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Mar. 23, 2014
"A big thumbs down! Wish I could give it a no stars. should have known that it wasn't going to taste good when I saw to add vinegar, sugar,and flour. Please don't do this to yourself or family. ..they're innocent victims."