At the end of the summer, we search our garden for the last few remaining vegetables and add them to this salad. This dish nicely pairs with corn, beans and seasonings.
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 small green pepper, julienned
- 1 small sweet red pepper, julienned
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced carrots
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/3 cup cider vinegar
- 3 cups fresh or frozen corn
- 1 cup fresh or frozen lima beans
- 1 cup cubed fully cooked ham
- 1 teaspoon minced chives
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon-pepper seasoning
- In a saucepan, saute onion in oil until tender. Add peppers and carrots; cook for 2 minutes. Blend in flour, sugar and salt. Gradually add water and vinegar, stirring constantly.
- Bring to a boil; boil for 1 minute. Add corn and beans. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5-7 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Remove from the heat. Add the ham, chives and lemon-pepper; toss. Serve warm or chilled. Yield: 4-6 servings.
Originally published as Succotash Salad in Home-Style Soups, Salad and Sandwiches Cookbook 1996, p67
Reviews for Southern Succotash
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Mar. 23, 2014
"A big thumbs down! Wish I could give it a no stars. should have known that it wasn't going to taste good when I saw to add vinegar, sugar,and flour. Please don't do this to yourself or family. ..they're innocent victims."