Southern-Style Soft Custard
This recipe has been handed down in our family for many years.
Custard is one of our favorite desserts for holidays. We also make sure to take it to neighbors and friends when they are ill, since it's very nourishing.
8 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 3 egg yolks
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1/2 teaspoon McCormick® Pure Vanilla Extract
- Sliced pound cake
- Fresh berries of choice
- Beat together eggs, sugar and salt. Scald milk (heat to 180°) and
- pour slowly over egg mixture. Return mixture to top of double boiler
- or metal bowl over simmering water, and constantly whisk the egg
- yolks, water and lemon juice until mixture reaches 160° or is
- thick enough to coat the back of a spoon.
- Mixture will not have the consistency of a firm baked custard. Cool
- over ice water, stirring occasionally. Add vanilla. If mixture
- separates, beat with egg beater until smooth. Serve chilled over
- slice pound cake; top with berries. Yield: 8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1/4 cup) equals 85 calories, 4 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 88 mg cholesterol, 70 mg sodium, 9 g carbohydrate, 0 fiber, 3 g protein.