Southern-Style Oven-Fried Chicken Recipe
- 2 cups Ritz crackers (about 50)
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 2 eggs
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3 to 4 pounds), cut up
- 1. Preheat oven to 400°. Place a rack in a 15x10x1-in. baking pan; coat the rack with cooking spray.
- 2. In a shallow bowl, mix the first seven ingredients. In a separate shallow bowl, whisk eggs. Dip chicken in eggs, then in cracker mixture, patting to help coating adhere. Place on prepared rack.
- 3. Bake 20 minutes. Turn chicken; bake 15-25 minutes longer or until chicken is golden brown and juices run clear. Yield: 6 servings.
4 ounces cooked chicken: 418 calories, 22g fat (5g saturated fat), 123mg cholesterol, 638mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 31g protein.
Reviews for Southern-Style Oven-Fried Chicken
"This is super!"
"Love that this is made in the oven instead of deep fried."
"Out of this world??! The chicken breasts that I did with this recipe were so succulent my son said,"Mom you out did yourself...fantastic??! Well, needless to say this recipe is a KEEPER??!As side dishes, we had Paula's acorn squash and Green Giant's no sauced peas...What a scrumptious meal. Please enjoy it real soon??."
"I didn't really care for the cracker coating in this recipe. Probably will not make this again."
"Followed this recipe exactly except I baked it a bit longer because my chicken was bigger.Turned out great and definitely beats standing over a fry pan!"
"Excellent! Followed the recipe instructions exactly, which is something I don't normally do. A definite keeper."
"This was oh-my-word good! I was just making a small amount of drumsticks, so I halved the amount of crackers I used. I kept the seasoning quantities the same, though. It was so flavorful!"
"Delicious! I followed the recipe exactly and I wouldn't change anything. The whole family devoured it. Will definitely make again!"
"i used this breading on chicken tenders and it was great!"
"Delicious!! So crunchy and moist. Will make this recipe again! I followed the recipe as written and I don't think I would change anything, but might add just a pinch of salt."
"Very good! The whole family enjoyed it. I used boneless, skinless chicken thighs and garlic powder instead of garlic salt. Next time I will add a little salt. Tasty!"
"This recipe was a big hit with the family. Preparation was pretty fast and simple. Next time I will probably add a little onion salt/powder and cayenne pepper to spice it up. Great recipe!"