Southern-Style Oven-Fried Chicken Recipe
- 2 cups Ritz crackers (about 50)
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 2 eggs
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3 to 4 pounds), cut up
- 1. Preheat oven to 400°. Place a rack in a 15x10x1-in. baking pan; coat the rack with cooking spray.
- 2. In a shallow bowl, mix the first seven ingredients. In a separate shallow bowl, whisk eggs. Dip chicken in eggs, then in cracker mixture, patting to help coating adhere. Place on prepared rack.
- 3. Bake 20 minutes. Turn chicken; bake 15-25 minutes longer or until chicken is golden brown and juices run clear. Yield: 6 servings.
4 ounces cooked chicken equals 418 calories, 22 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 123 mg cholesterol, 638 mg sodium, 21 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 31 g protein.
Reviews for Southern-Style Oven-Fried Chicken
"I didn't really care for the cracker coating in this recipe. Probably will not make this again."
"Followed this recipe exactly except I baked it a bit longer because my chicken was bigger.Turned out great and definitely beats standing over a fry pan!"
"Excellent! Followed the recipe instructions exactly, which is something I don't normally do. A definite keeper."
"This is the best fried chicken recipe I've made......and it's so easy compared to real fried chicken made on the stove top. This will be my new go to for fried chicken!!!!"
"This was oh-my-word good! I was just making a small amount of drumsticks, so I halved the amount of crackers I used. I kept the seasoning quantities the same, though. It was so flavorful!"
"Delicious! I followed the recipe exactly and I wouldn't change anything. The whole family devoured it. Will definitely make again!"
"i used this breading on chicken tenders and it was great!"
"Delicious!! So crunchy and moist. Will make this recipe again! I followed the recipe as written and I don't think I would change anything, but might add just a pinch of salt."
"Very good! The whole family enjoyed it. I used boneless, skinless chicken thighs and garlic powder instead of garlic salt. Next time I will add a little salt. Tasty!"
"This recipe was a big hit with the family. Preparation was pretty fast and simple. Next time I will probably add a little onion salt/powder and cayenne pepper to spice it up. Great recipe!"
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.