I call this America’s best-loved oven-fried chicken. The secret is in the breading, which makes the chicken super moist and flavorful, herby and golden brown. —Elaina Morgan, Rickman, Tennessee
- 2 cups Ritz crackers (about 50)
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 2 eggs
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3 to 4 pounds), cut up
- Preheat oven to 400°. Place a rack in a 15x10x1-in. baking pan; coat the rack with cooking spray.
- In a shallow bowl, mix the first seven ingredients. In a separate shallow bowl, whisk eggs. Dip chicken in eggs, then in cracker mixture, patting to help coating adhere. Place on prepared rack.
- Bake 20 minutes. Turn chicken; bake 15-25 minutes longer or until chicken is golden brown and juices run clear. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Southern-Style Oven-Fried Chicken in Taste of Home June/July 2014
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Southern-Style Oven-Fried Chicken
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review