A home economics teacher from Virginia gave me the recipe for this popular sweet and tangy salad. It's a hit at gatherings here in the Northeast.
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons prepared mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 4 cups diced cooked chicken
- 1-1/2 cups diced celery
- 3 hard-cooked eggs, chopped
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- In a small saucepan, combine the egg yolks, sugar, vinegar, mustard and salt. Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture reaches 160° or is thick enough to coat the back of a metal spoon. Stir in butter until melted. Cover and chill for 30 minutes.
- Stir in milk and mayonnaise. In a large bowl, combine remaining ingredients. Add dressing and toss to coat. Chill until ready to serve. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Originally published as Southern-Style Chicken Salad in Country Chicken Cookbook 1995, p15
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Southern-Style Chicken Salad
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review