Southern Stir-Fry Recipe
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 can (15-1/2 ounces) black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup frozen whole kernel corn, thawed
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon white wine or additional chicken broth
- 2 cups fresh spinach, chopped
- 1 cup cooked rice
- 1. In a large nonstick skillet or wok, stir-fry celery and onion in oil until tender. Add the peas, corn, thyme, garlic, salt and cayenne; cook and stir over medium heat for 1 minute. Add broth and wine or additional broth; cook and stir for 1 minute. Add spinach and rice; cook and stir 2 minutes longer or until heated through and spinach is wilted. Yield: 4 servings.
One serving (3/4 cup) equals 216 calories, 5 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 679 mg sodium, 37 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 8 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.