Southern Skillet Chops
The Creole seasoning adds the right amount of kick to these pork chops. The black-eyed peas make the perfect accompaniment. —Irene Sullivan, Lake Mills, Wisconsin
4 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 4 bone-in pork loin chops (8 ounces each)
- 2 teaspoons plus 1/8 teaspoon Creole seasoning, divided
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes with mild green chilies, undrained
- 1 can (15-1/2 ounces) black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
- Shredded cheddar cheese, optional
- Sprinkle pork chops with 2 teaspoons Creole seasoning. In a large
- skillet, brown pork chops in oil. Remove and keep warm.
- Drain one can tomatoes; discard liquid. Add tomatoes to skillet with
- the remaining can of undrained tomatoes, black-eyed peas and
- remaining Creole seasoning, stirring to loosen browned bits from
- Bring to a boil and return chops to pan. Reduce heat; simmer,
- uncovered, for 2-4 minutes or until a thermometer reads 145°.
- Sprinkle with cheese if desired. Let stand for 5 minutes. Yield: 4
Wine: Sweet White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.