Southern Shrimp & Grits Recipe
- 2-1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup quick-cooking grits
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 package (14 ounces) frozen pepper strips, thawed
- 4 teaspoons olive oil
- 3/4 pound uncooked large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1. In a large saucepan, bring broth to a boil. Slowly stir in grits. Reduce heat; cook and stir for 5-7 minutes or until thickened.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, saute onion and pepper strips in oil until crisp-tender. Add the shrimp, parsley and lemon juice; saute 3-4 minutes longer or until shrimp turn pink.
- 3. Stir cheese and sour cream into grits; serve with shrimp mixture. Yield: 4 servings.
3/4 cup shrimp mixture with 3/4 cup grits equals 448 calories, 19 g fat (10 g saturated fat), 146 mg cholesterol, 899 mg sodium, 41 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 25 g protein.
Reviews for Southern Shrimp & Grits
"The grits were too rich on their own and then adding the shrimp and sauce just made it worse. No thank you."
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.