- 2-1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup quick-cooking grits
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 package (14 ounces) frozen pepper strips, thawed
- 4 teaspoons olive oil
- 3/4 pound uncooked large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- In a large saucepan, bring broth to a boil. Slowly stir in grits. Reduce heat; cook and stir for 5-7 minutes or until thickened.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, saute onion and pepper strips in oil until crisp-tender. Add the shrimp, parsley and lemon juice; saute 3-4 minutes longer or until shrimp turn pink.
- Stir cheese and sour cream into grits; serve with shrimp mixture. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Southern Shrimp & Grits in Simple & Delicious February/March 2011, p27
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Southern Shrimp & Grits
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jan. 30, 2013
"The grits were too rich on their own and then adding the shrimp and sauce just made it worse. No thank you."