Southern Shredded BBQ Chicken Recipe
- 4 pounds bone-in chicken breast halves, skin removed
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed tomato soup, undiluted
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- CORN BREAD:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted, divided
- 1. Place chicken in a 4-qt. slow cooker. In a small bowl, combine the tomato soup, brown sugar, vinegar, chili powder, salt, celery seed, soy sauce and cayenne. Pour over chicken. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until tender.
- 2. In a large bowl, combine the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder and salt. Combine the eggs, milk and 4 tablespoons butter; stir into dry ingredients just until combined.
- 3. Pour into a greased 8-in. square baking pan. Bake at 350° for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Drizzle remaining butter over warm bread.
- 4. Remove chicken from slow cooker. When cool enough to handle, remove meat from bones; discard bones. Shred meat with two forks; return to slow cooker. Using a slotted spoon, the chicken over corn bread. Yield: 6 servings.
1 cup shredded chicken with 1 piece corn bread equals 669 calories, 20 g fat (10 g saturated fat), 224 mg cholesterol, 1,217 mg sodium, 67 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 53 g protein.
Reviews for Southern Shredded BBQ Chicken
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.