Southern Shortcake Recipe
- 2 quarts fresh strawberries, sliced
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 2-1/2 cups self-rising flour
- 1 egg
- 1 cup buttermilk
- Whipped cream
- 1. Combine the strawberries and sugar; set aside.
- 2. In a large bowl, cut shortening into flour until crumbly. In a small bowl, beat egg; add buttermilk. Stir into flour mixture just until moistened. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead three to four times. Roll out to 1/2-in. thickness; cut with a 3-in. round biscuit cutter. Place on a lightly greased baking sheet.
- 3. Bake at 400° for 15-18 minutes or until lightly browned; cool slightly.
- 4. Split biscuits lengthwise; place the bottom halves on serving plates. Top with about 1/3 cup strawberries and whipped cream. Replace biscuit tops; spoon about 1/3 cup strawberries and more whipped cream on top. Serve immediately. Yield: 10-12 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 216 calories, 9 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 19 mg cholesterol, 328 mg sodium, 30 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 4 g protein.
Reviews for Southern Shortcake
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.