- 2 quarts fresh strawberries, sliced
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 2-1/2 cups self-rising flour
- 1 egg
- 1 cup buttermilk
- Whipped cream
- Combine the strawberries and sugar; set aside.
- In a large bowl, cut shortening into flour until crumbly. In a small bowl, beat egg; add buttermilk. Stir into flour mixture just until moistened. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead three to four times. Roll out to 1/2-in. thickness; cut with a 3-in. round biscuit cutter. Place on a lightly greased baking sheet.
- Bake at 400° for 15-18 minutes or until lightly browned; cool slightly.
- Split biscuits lengthwise; place the bottom halves on serving plates. Top with about 1/3 cup strawberries and whipped cream. Replace biscuit tops; spoon about 1/3 cup strawberries and more whipped cream on top. Serve immediately. Yield: 10-12 servings.
Originally published as Southern Shortcake in Taste of Home April/May 1996, p67
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Southern Shortcake(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Baby Shower Recipes >
- Berry Recipes >
- Bridal Shower Recipes >
- Cake Recipes >
- Cakes >
- Desserts >
- July 4th Desserts >
- July 4th Recipes >
- Labor Day Desserts >
- Labor Day Recipes >
- Memorial Day Desserts >
- Memorial Day Recipes >
- Mother's Day Dessert Recipes >