Southern Seafood Gumbo Recipe
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 celery ribs with leaves, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 bottle (46 ounces) spicy hot V8 juice
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen sliced okra, thawed
- 1 pound catfish fillets, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 3/4 pound uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 3 cups cooked long grain rice
- 1. In a Dutch oven, saute the onion, celery and green pepper in oil until tender. Add garlic;cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the V8 juice, tomatoes and cayenne; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- 2. Stir in okra and catfish; cook 8 minutes longer. Add the shrimp; cook 7 minutes longer or until shrimp turn pink. Place rice in individual serving bowls; top with gumbo. Yield: 12 servings.
1 cup gumbo with 1/4 cup rice equals 180 calories, 5 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 60 mg cholesterol, 512 mg sodium, 22 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 14 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 2 vegetable, 1 starch.
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.