- 1/2 pound bulk pork sausage
- 4 cups water
- 1 cup grits
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- Dash cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- Additional butter
- Maple syrup
- In a large skillet, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain and set aside. In a large saucepan, bring water to a boil. Gradually add the grits, salt, pepper and cayenne, stirring constantly until thickened. Stir in butter and cheese until melted. Stir in sausage.
- Press into a greased 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pan. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour or until cool.
- Remove scrapple from pan; cut into 1/2-in. slices. In a skillet, cook scrapple in butter until browned on both sides, adding more butter as needed. Serve warm with syrup. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Originally published as Southern Scrapple in Country Extra May 2002, p49
Reviews for Southern Scrapple
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review