Southern Pulled Pork
With molasses and brown sugar, this sweet and tangy pork takes just a few minutes of prep and offers plenty of hands-free time. It’s even more rewarding with yummy sweet potatoes. —Katie Grady, West Boylston, Massachusetts
10 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Cook: 6-1/2 hours
- 1 boneless pork shoulder butt roast (3 pounds)
- 1/3 cup spicy brown mustard
- 1/3 cup molasses
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/4 cup cold water
- Baked sweet potatoes, optional
- Place pork in a 3- or 4-qt. slow cooker. Combine the mustard,
- molasses, brown sugar and soy sauce; pour over roast. Cover and cook
- on low for 6-8 hours or until meat is tender.
- Remove meat; cool slightly. Skim fat from cooking juices; transfer to
- a large saucepan. Bring to a boil. Combine cornstarch and water
- until smooth; gradually stir into juices. Return to a boil; cook and
- stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Shred meat with two forks; return to the slow cooker. Stir in gravy.
- Cover and cook 15 minutes longer or until heated through. Serve with
- sweet potatoes if desired. Yield: 10 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1/2 cup (calculated without potatoes) equals 282 calories, 14 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 81 mg cholesterol, 240 mg sodium, 14 g carbohydrate, trace fiber,