This recipe is truly Southern, and it's been a family favorite for years. I've packed many a Christmas tin with this candy.
42 ServingsPrep: 35 min. + cooling
- 3 cups packed brown sugar
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups chopped pecans
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1-1/4 teaspoons vanilla extract
- In a large heavy saucepan, combine the brown sugar, cream, corn syrup
- and salt. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly.
- Cook until a candy thermometer reads 230° (thread stage),
- stirring occasionally.
- Carefully stir in pecans and butter. Cook, stirring occasionally,
- until a candy thermometer reads 236° (soft-ball stage).
- Remove from the heat; stir in vanilla. Beat with a wooden spoon until
- candy thickens and begins to lose its gloss, about 4-5 minutes.
- Quickly drop by heaping tablespoonfuls onto waxed paper; spread to
- form 2-in. patties. Let stand until set. Store in an airtight
- container. Yield: about 3-1/2 dozen.
Nutritional Facts: 1 praline equals 121 calories, 6 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 11 mg cholesterol, 31 mg sodium,