Southern Pralines Recipe
- 3 cups packed brown sugar
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups chopped pecans
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1-1/4 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1. In a large heavy saucepan, combine the brown sugar, cream, corn syrup and salt. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Cook until a candy thermometer reads 230° (thread stage), stirring occasionally.
- 2. Carefully stir in pecans and butter. Cook, stirring occasionally, until a candy thermometer reads 236° (soft-ball stage).
- 3. Remove from the heat; stir in vanilla. Beat with a wooden spoon until candy thickens and begins to lose its gloss, about 4-5 minutes.
- 4. Quickly drop by heaping tablespoonfuls onto waxed paper; spread to form 2-in. patties. Let stand until set. Store in an airtight container. Yield: about 3-1/2 dozen.
1 each: 121 calories, 6g fat (2g saturated fat), 11mg cholesterol, 31mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (16g sugars, 0g fiber), 1g protein .
Reviews for Southern Pralines
"Delicious treat....my only suggestion is that people at higher altitudes be sure and check their candy thermometer and make adjustments to the temperatures as suggested. Once candy is done, you need to work very quickly to place candy on waxed paper or candy will set up in the pan. After candy begins to firm up, I loosened candy from paper using a metal spatula, preventing problems with sticking to the paper (rather than buttering paper.)"
"They didn't harden. Also make sure the waxed paper is buttered. I had a nasty mess."
"I will add more pecans next time."
"Correction to my previous review: I need to cut these into squares before they completely harden."
"I make these every Christmas. I follow the recipe exactly and they turn out perfect. I like lisapeters suggestion of spreading them in a pan and cutting them into squares when they harden. That's better than dropping the patties as fast as you can before they harden."
"I made this for a Mardi Gras pot luck at work. People loved it!"
"Terrific recipe. I butter a large cookie sheet and spread the candy, then cut into squares before it completely hardens. This is quicker than dropping patties, and squares are easier to pack and ship."
"I followed the recipe and the Pralines did not harden enought. Other wise they were good."