Southern Pralines Recipe
This recipe is truly Southern, and it's been a family favorite for years. I've packed many a Christmas tin with this candy.
- 3 cups packed brown sugar
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups chopped pecans
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1-1/4 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1. In a large heavy saucepan, combine the brown sugar, cream, corn syrup and salt. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Cook until a candy thermometer reads 230° (thread stage), stirring occasionally.
- 2. Carefully stir in pecans and butter. Cook, stirring occasionally, until a candy thermometer reads 236° (soft-ball stage).
- 3. Remove from the heat; stir in vanilla. Beat with a wooden spoon until candy thickens and begins to lose its gloss, about 4-5 minutes.
- 4. Quickly drop by heaping tablespoonfuls onto waxed paper; spread to form 2-in. patties. Let stand until set. Store in an airtight container. Yield: about 3-1/2 dozen.
1 praline equals 121 calories, 6 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 11 mg cholesterol, 31 mg sodium, 17 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 1 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC