Southern Plantation Corn Bread Recipe
I get this recipe years ago from my college roommate's mother. I've tried a lot of other corn bread recipes since, but none compares to this one—with the ham baked in, it's much more like a complete meal than simply a bread. I'm a home economics teacher, and I'm active in Future Homemakers of America, too. Besides cooking, I enjoy reading and cross-stitch.
- 1 cup butter, melted, divided
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups half-and-half cream
- 4 slices American cheese, cut into pieces
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 2 packages (8-1/2 ounces each) corn bread/muffin mix
- 6 ounces diced breakfast ham or 1-1/2 cups diced ham
- 1. In a saucepan, combine the flour, half-and-half cream and 1/2 cup butter until smooth; cook and stir until slightly thickened. Stir in cheese. Cool.
- 2. Add the egg, whipping cream and sour cream until blended. Add remaining butter; fold into corn muffin mixes and ham. Spread into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Bake at 350° for 50-60 minutes or until set. (Do not overbake.) Yield: 12-15 servings.
1 serving (1 piece) equals 345 calories, 28 g fat (17 g saturated fat), 107 mg cholesterol, 503 mg sodium, 16 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 7 g protein.
Reviews for Southern Plantation Corn Bread
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC