Southern Pecan Catfish
For this super fast recipe, Mary Ann Griffin of Bowling Green, Kentucky coats catfish in pecans, then tops it with a thick, rich cream sauce. It looks like you spent all day on it, but it's actually so speedy to prepare. Mary Ann recommends garnishing it with lemon wedges, parsley or chopped pecans.
4 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 cup finely chopped pecans, divided
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 4 catfish fillets (6 ounces each)
- 1/2 cup butter, divided
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 to 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- In a shallow bowl, combine 1/2 cup pecans, cornmeal, 1/2 teaspoon
- salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Coat catfish with pecan mixture.
- In a large skillet, melt 1/4 cup butter over medium-high heat; fry
- fillets for 6-7 minutes on each side or until fish flakes easily
- with a fork. Remove and keep warm.
- In the same skillet, melt remaining butter over medium heat. Add
- remaining pecans; cook and stir for 1 minute. Add the cream, lemon
- juice and remaining salt and pepper; cook and stir for 1 minute.
- Stir in parsley. Serve with catfish. Yield: 4 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 633 calories, 59 g fat (24 g saturated fat), 122 mg cholesterol, 856 mg sodium, 19 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 12 g protein.