- 2 bacon strips, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 cups torn fresh spinach
- 1 cup frozen black-eyed peas, thawed
- 1/2 cup cooked long grain rice
- 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1/4 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- In a small nonstick skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, remove to paper towels; drain, reserving 1 teaspoon drippings.
- Add spinach to drippings in skillet; cook for 3-4 minutes or until tender. Stir in the peas, rice, Parmesan cheese, salt, hot pepper sauce and bacon. Cook 5 minutes longer or until heated through. Sprinkle with cheddar cheese. Yield: 2 servings.
Originally published as Southern Peas and Rice in Cooking for 2 Spring 2005, p21
Reviews for Southern Peas and Rice
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review