Southern Peas and Rice Recipe
"Nothing beats good old-fashioned comfort food," confirms Amber Zurbrugg of Alliance, Ohio. "This is wonderful on a cold day." Hot sauce adds a little zip to the black-eyed peas in her quick skillet side dish.
- 2 bacon strips, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 cups torn fresh spinach
- 1 cup frozen black-eyed peas, thawed
- 1/2 cup cooked long grain rice
- 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1/4 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 1. In a small nonstick skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, remove to paper towels; drain, reserving 1 teaspoon drippings.
- 2. Add spinach to drippings in skillet; cook for 3-4 minutes or until tender. Stir in the peas, rice, Parmesan cheese, salt, hot pepper sauce and bacon. Cook 5 minutes longer or until heated through. Sprinkle with cheddar cheese. Yield: 2 servings.
3/4 cup: 257 calories, 9g fat (5g saturated fat), 20mg cholesterol, 820mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (0g sugars, 4g fiber), 14g protein Diabetic Exchanges:1-1/2 starch, 2 vegetable, 2 fat
Reviews for Southern Peas and Rice
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC