Southern Peas and Rice Recipe
"Nothing beats good old-fashioned comfort food," confirms Amber Zurbrugg of Alliance, Ohio. "This is wonderful on a cold day." Hot sauce adds a little zip to the black-eyed peas in her quick skillet side dish.
- 2 bacon strips, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 cups torn fresh spinach
- 1 cup frozen black-eyed peas, thawed
- 1/2 cup cooked long grain rice
- 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1/4 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- In a small nonstick skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, remove to paper towels; drain, reserving 1 teaspoon drippings.
- Add spinach to drippings in skillet; cook for 3-4 minutes or until tender. Stir in the peas, rice, Parmesan cheese, salt, hot pepper sauce and bacon. Cook 5 minutes longer or until heated through. Sprinkle with cheddar cheese. Yield: 2 servings.
Originally published as Southern Peas and Rice in Cooking for 2 Spring 2005, p21
Reviews for Southern Peas and Rice(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
More Recipe Collections
- Black Eyed Pea Recipes >
- Cajun Recipes >
- Cajun Side Dishes >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Cooking For Two >
- Cooking For Two Magazine >
- Cooking For Two Recipes >
- Diabetic Recipes >
- Diabetic Side Dishes >
- Low Fat Recipes >
- Low Fat Side Dishes >
- Mardi Gras Recipes >
- Mardi Gras Side Dishes >
- Rice Recipes >