This recipe dates back generations in my family. I enjoy it so much because I can use the fresh vegetables that are so abundant here in the South.
6 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups sliced fresh okra
- Boiling water
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 3 medium tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- Cooked rice, optional
- In a small shallow bowl, combine the sugar, flour, salt and pepper;
- set aside. In a small saucepan, cover and cook okra in boiling water
- for 10 minutes or until tender. Drain and set aside.
- In a large skillet, saute onion and green pepper in oil until tender.
- Stir in the tomatoes and reserved sugar; cook for 5 minutes. Add
- okra. Heat through, stirring as little as possible. Serve with rice
- if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutritional Facts:Diabetic Exchanges: One serving equals 1-1/2 vegetable, 1 fat; also, 83 calories, 333 mg sodium, 0 mg cholesterol, 11 gm carbohydrate, 2 gm protein, 5 gm fat.