- let stand at room temperature 30 minutes.
- In another large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat in vanilla. In another bowl, whisk flour, baking powder and
- salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with milk, beating well
- after each addition. Beat egg whites until stiff peaks form; fold
- into batter. Transfer to prepared pans.
- Bake at 325° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near
- the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from
- pans to wire racks; remove paper. Cool completely.
- For filling, combine egg yolks and sugar in a large saucepan. Add
- butter; cook and stir over medium-low heat until sugar is dissolved
- and mixture thickens (do not boil). Remove from the heat. Stir in
- bourbon, orange peel and salt. Fold in the raisins, coconut, pecans
- and cherries. Cool.
- Place one cake layer on a serving plate; spread with a third of the
- filling. Repeat layers twice. Frost sides of cake with whipped
- cream. Refrigerate until serving. Yield: 12 servings.
To Make Ahead: Cake can be made a day in advance. Cover and refrigerate. Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before serving.