Southern Garden Soup Recipe
I created this recipe as a way to combine all of my family's favorite produce into one dish. No matter how much I make, this soup never lasts too long around our house.
TOTAL TIME: Prep/Total Time: 30 min. YIELD:9 servings
- 12-1/4 cups water, divided
- 1/2 cup pearl onions
- 5 teaspoons vegetable or beef bouillon granules
- 2 cups fresh cauliflowerets
- 2 pounds fresh asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 can (8 ounces) sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 1 cup chopped fresh spinach
- 1/2 cup minced chives
- 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1. In a Dutch oven or soup kettle, bring 6 cups water to a boil. Add pearl onions; boil for 3 minutes. Drain and rinse in cold water; peel and set aside.
- 2. In another Dutch oven or soup kettle, bring 6 cups water and bouillon to a boil. Add cauliflower and onions; cover and cook for 5 minutes. Add the asparagus, water chestnuts, spinach and seasonings; cover and cook for 5 minutes or until asparagus is tender.
- 3. Combine cornstarch and remaining water until smooth; stir into soup. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve immediately. Yield: 9 servings (2-1/4 quarts).
1 cup equals 58 calories, 1 g fat (trace saturated fat), trace cholesterol, 770 mg sodium, 11 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 3 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC