VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 12-1/4 cups water, divided
- 1/2 cup pearl onions
- 5 teaspoons vegetable or beef bouillon granules
- 2 cups fresh cauliflowerets
- 2 pounds fresh asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 can (8 ounces) sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 1 cup chopped fresh spinach
- 1/2 cup minced chives
- 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- In a Dutch oven or soup kettle, bring 6 cups water to a boil. Add pearl onions; boil for 3 minutes. Drain and rinse in cold water; peel and set aside.
- In another Dutch oven or soup kettle, bring 6 cups water and bouillon to a boil. Add cauliflower and onions; cover and cook for 5 minutes. Add the asparagus, water chestnuts, spinach and seasonings; cover and cook for 5 minutes or until asparagus is tender.
- Combine cornstarch and remaining water until smooth; stir into soup. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve immediately. Yield: 9 servings (2-1/4 quarts).
Originally published as Southern Garden Soup in Home-Style Soups, Salad and Sandwiches Cookbook 1996, p18
Reviews forSouthern Garden Soup
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review