Southern Fried Okra Recipe
- 1-1/2 cups sliced fresh or frozen okra, thawed
- 3 tablespoons buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons cornmeal
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic herb seasoning blend
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- Additional salt and pepper, optional
- 1. Pat okra dry with paper towels. Place buttermilk in a shallow bowl. In another shallow bowl, combine the flour, cornmeal, salt, seasoning blend and pepper. Dip okra in buttermilk, then roll in cornmeal mixture.
- 2. In an electric skillet or deep-fat fryer, heat 1 in. of oil to 375°. Fry okra, a few pieces at a time, for 1-1/2 to 2-1/2 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels. Season with additional salt and pepper if desired. Yield: 2 servings.
3/4 cup: 368 calories, 31g fat (2g saturated fat), 1mg cholesterol, 410mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 4g fiber), 5g protein .
Reviews for Southern Fried Okra
"These were okay, but personally I like a little more flavor on my breading."
"Made exactly as directed. The best fried okra I've ever eaten...light, crispy and flavorful!"
"I've never made okra before but had some fresh from the farmers market and wanted to try it. I didn't have any cornmeal so I used corn muffin mix and I didn't have buttermilk so I made it with whole milk and vinegar. It turned out great! We loved it and this will be my go to recipe for fried okra!"