Southern Fried Okra Recipe
NOTHING beats a batch of okra, fresh from the garden. Golden brown, with a little fresh green color showing through, these okra nuggets are crunchy and flavorful. My sons like to dip the fried okra in ketchup.
TOTAL TIME: Prep/Total Time: 30 min. YIELD:2 servings
- 1-1/2 cups sliced fresh or frozen okra, thawed
- 3 tablespoons buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons cornmeal
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic herb seasoning blend
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- Additional salt and pepper, optional
- 1. Pat okra dry with paper towels. Place buttermilk in a shallow bowl. In another shallow bowl, combine the flour, cornmeal, salt, seasoning blend and pepper. Dip okra in buttermilk, then roll in cornmeal mixture.
- 2. In an electric skillet or deep-fat fryer, heat 1 in. of oil to 375°. Fry okra, a few pieces at a time, for 1-1/2 to 2-1/2 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels. Season with additional salt and pepper if desired. Yield: 2 servings.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC