Southern-Fried Baked Steak
When our family gets together, they often ask me to prepare this main course. They love its down-home flavor.Howard Haug, Hewitt, Texas
6 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 1 hou 50 min.
- 2 pounds beef top round steak, trimmed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup beef broth
- Pound steak to tenderize; cut into serving-size pieces. Season with
- salt and pepper. Dust with flour. Combine milk and egg; dip meat
- into egg mixture and back into flour.
- In a large skillet, brown meat on both sides in oil. Place onion in
- an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Place meat over onion. Pour
- broth over all. Cover tightly and bake at 350° for 1-1/2 hours.
- Uncover; bake 20 minutes longer. Yield: 6 servings.
Wine: Full-Bodied Red Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.