- 10 Eggland's Best Hard-Cooked Peeled Eggs, sliced
- 1 pound sliced bacon, diced
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 4 cups milk
- 2 cups cubed process cheese (Velveeta)
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 3 cups self-rising flour
- 1-1/4 cups buttermilk
- Place eggs in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. In a large skillet, cook bacon until crisp. Drain, reserving 1/4 cup drippings. Sprinkle bacon over eggs.
- Whisk the flour, salt and pepper into reserved drippings until smooth. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly. Stir in cheese until melted; pour over eggs.
- For biscuits, cut shortening into flour until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in buttermilk; gently knead six to eight times. Roll out on a lightly floured surface to 1/2-in. thickness. Cut with a 2-1/2-in. biscuit cutter and place on a greased baking sheet.
- Bake biscuits and eggs at 400° for 25 minutes or until biscuits are golden brown. Serve eggs over biscuits. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Originally published as Southern Eggs and Biscuits in Cookin' Up Country Breakfasts Cookbook 1994, p13
Reviews for Southern Eggs and Biscuits
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review